any structural environment can present many health
challenges, from mild allergies to more severe illnesses.
Mold needs to
have moisture on which to grow. In most cases household mold
is due to moisture problems. Mold also needs food and
nutrients. Most materials found in homes will support the
growth of mold and mildew if they become damp.
leaking water pipes or fixtures, backed-up or faulty drain
plumbing, leaky roofs, use of humidifiers, extensive use of
hot water indoors (laundering, cooking, bathing) without
adequate exhaust venting for steam, damp basements or
crawlspaces, houseplant water or aquarium leakage, indoor
clothes drying, and unvented combustion appliances are all
important sources of indoor moisture, and can encourage mold
growth. Heavy condensation ("sweating") of windows, exterior
walls or other cold objects indicates excessive moisture and
are extensive they can also produce enough spores, and
by-products to be harmful to health. Many of the by-products
of mold and mildew are irritating to skin, eyes and
respiratory tracts. Some molds produce true allergic
sensitization and allergic reactions in susceptible people.
Some molds produce toxic by-products that could be harmful
to skin, and poisonous if ingested or inhaled in quantity.
suspect that a property you are considering buying has any
degree of mold, ask Pacific Northwest Building Inspections to include a mold inspection.
information about mold, refer to
this brochure from the Environmental Protection Agency